IF USED PROPERLY, yes, there are a few applications where DE may work. However it IS NOT a harmless substance!!!
- PLEASE READ THE ACTUAL LABEL = de_label
Just because it is ‘all natural’; DOES NOT mean that it’s completely safe. Poison Ivy is all-natural too (among a laundry list of other ‘all-natural’ substances/plants).
Here’s a study showing its connection to Lung Cancer: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1035494/
Another good piece of reading from others: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diatomaceous-earth-really-that-harmless.3688/
**We heavily encourage further research (due diligence) before simply resting on the idea that DE is perfectly safe.**
Food Grade DE (specifically food grade): a natural product made up of fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic organisms called diatoms. According to the National Pesticide Information Center, diatoms found in DE are actually skeletons that are made up of silica, a very common type of matter found in nature that makes up about 26 percent of the earth’s crust. There are various types of natural silica, many of which you probably recognize, including: sand, emerald, quartz, feldspar, mica, clay, asbestos and glass. **FOR CENTURIES, Asbestos was ‘thought’ to be harmless (because its all-natural).
- Food-grade diatomaceous earth is different from the diatomaceous earth that is used for pesticides.
- Do not ingest pesticide-grade diatomaceous earth or use it on your skin because it contains harmful chemicals.
- de_label CLICK TO READ THE LABEL
Inhalation of diatomaceous earth will cause temporary respiratory irritation such as sneezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, eye, nose and throat irritation or bloody nose. People with existing respiratory conditions, such as asthma patients or smokers, and children may be more sensitive to the effects of diatomaceous earth. Symptoms should improve after the exposure is removed.